Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mormon Rocks

I drove by these rocks a million times when I commuted up and down the Cajon Pass, but never stopped to check them out until just the other day.  It's right off the freeway, too.  No hiking out into the middle of nowhere required.  Just exit the freeway, pull off the road, and you're there.  This photo doesn't have anything in it to give perspective, so I included a close up shot taken earlier too.  The top photo is an HDR and was taken just as the sun was setting, which explains the orangish tone on the rocks.  The're called Mormon Rocks after the Mormon settlers who travelled through the Cajon Pass in covered wagons in 1851.  The rock formation was caused by the San Andreas fault.  If you want to check them out the're at the intersection of the 15 freeway and Hwy 138.

No comments:

Post a Comment