I had been dying to do some long exposures, specifically capturing star trails, but haven't exactly had time or the ideal conditions. Riverside, at least where I live, has way too much light. When Back-To-School-Night rolled around this year (which keeps me at school in Hesperia until late) I realized it was the perfect opportunity to go out shooting. Lucky for me a couple of photographers (Joey and Ruben) who also happen to be former students of mine agreed to join me on a photo adventure. Ruben had recently seen this abandoned building out in Apple Valley where light pollution was definitely not going to be a problem. The final puzzle piece fell into place when DPChallenge announced that the challenge for the week was none other than "Long Exposures." That was all the motivation we needed. =]
This building was waaaaayyyy out in the boonies on a rutted out dirt road, and it was insanely dark out there--even a little scary. But, it was perfect for what we were there for. It was fun learning from these guys and collaborating. The exposures were running around 8 minutes to expose and 8 minutes for the camera to process--definitely a test of patience. We also did a few with flashes and sparklers. As a mom with two little kids, I don't get out to shoot as much as I used to, so this was incredibly refreshing. Thanks for showing me the ropes, guys!
Post Challenge: I ended up 31st out of 83 entries. Ruben kicked my butt finishing 19th--congrats! Joey, shame on you for not entering. I liked your perspective; shooting from inside the building looking out an open window. Or maybe I should be thanking you, because at least I didn't get beat by the both of you!

The Three Amigos! :) Well two amigo's and one amiga :) haha
ReplyDeleteYou totally blend in as a teen :)
ReplyDeletehaha mine turned out really ugly i was not going to enter it! i am going to update my blog finally this week forsure too! lol havent been on here in forever
ReplyDelete